can't wait until we get rid of bush, so there won't be any more hate directed at america from overseasHere's an interesting list of attacks believed to have involved al Qaeda. Note how the list starts right as George W. Bush took office in 1993:
* 1993 (Feb.): Bombing of World Trade Center (WTC); six killed.
* 1993 (Oct.): Killing of U.S. soldiers in Somalia.
* 1996 (June): Truck bombing at Khobar Towers barracks in Dhahran, Saudi Arabia, killed 19 Americans.
* 1998 (Aug.): Bombing of U.S. embassies in East Africa; 224 killed, including 12 Americans.
* 1999 (Dec.): Plot to bomb millennium celebrations in Seattle foiled when customs agents arrest an Algerian smuggling explosives into the U.S.
* 2000 (Oct.): Bombing of the USS Cole in port in Yemen; 17 U.S. sailors killed.
* 2001 (Sept.): Destruction of WTC; attack on Pentagon. Total dead 2,992.
* 2001 (Dec.): Man tried to denote shoe bomb on flight from Paris to Miami.
* 2002 (April): Explosion at historic synagogue in Tunisia left 21 dead, including 14 German tourists.
* 2002 (May): Car exploded outside hotel in Karachi, Pakistan, killing 14, including 11 French citizens.
* 2002 (June): Bomb exploded outside American consulate in Karachi, Pakistan, killing 12.
* 2002 (Oct.): Boat crashed into oil tanker off Yemen coast, killing one.
* 2002 (Oct.): Nightclub bombings in Bali, Indonesia, killed 202, mostly Australian citizens.
* 2002 (Nov.): Suicide attack on a hotel in Mombasa, Kenya, killed 16.
* 2003 (May): Suicide bombers killed 34, including 8 Americans, at housing compounds for Westerners in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.
* 2003 (May): Four bombs killed 33 people targeting Jewish, Spanish, and Belgian sites in Casablanca, Morocco.
* 2003 (Aug.): Suicide car-bomb killed 12, injured 150 at Marriott Hotel in Jakarta, Indonesia.
* 2003 (Nov.): Explosions rocked a Riyadh, Saudi Arabia housing compound, killing 17.
* 2003 (Nov.): Suicide car-bombers simultaneously attacked two synagogues in Istanbul, Turkey, killing 25 and injuring hundreds.
* 2003 (Nov.): Truck bombs detonated at London bank and British consulate in Istanbul, Turkey, killing 26.
* 2004 (March): Ten terrorists bombs exploded almost simultaneously during the morning rush hour in Madrid, Spain, killing 202 and injuring more than 1,400.
* 2004 (May): Terrorists attacked Saudi oil company offices in Khobar, Saudi Arabia, killing 22.
* 2004 (June): Terrorists kidnapped and executed American Paul Johnson, Jr., in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.
* 2004 (Sept.): Car bomb outside the Australian embassy in Jakarta, Indonesia, killed nine.
Let's be sure to elect John Kerry, so we can have peace again. I'm glad we've been able to figure out that Bush is solely to blame for all the hostility directed at the U.S. Clearly we can see that getting rid of Bush will bring immediate peace -- especially after Kerry makes a speech to the United Nations.
It's a relief to discover that the world is such a simple place.
UPDATE: I am, of course, being a little assholish in this post. But I'm increasingly amazed, as the election nears, at the depth of Bush's failure (as revealed in daily conversation in Los Angeles, on-campus and off-campus). The salad dressing isn't tasty and delicious! Damn you, George W. Bush! Anything and everything is the direct fault of a single administration. Itchy feet? Small blister? Yep, he did it.
Meanwhile, John Edwards helpfully reveals that Bush killed Christopher Reeve, and that people like Reeve will walk again -- the Blood of the Lamb!!! -- when Kerry is elected. (Which will, I think, be "never.")
I didn't vote for Bush. I'm not going to vote for him this time. But I doubt very much that the world would change all that much if he were to lose the election. The Bush administration has been reckless and hubristic in foreign policy, reckless and shitty in domestic policy. And I'm still not convinced that John "Terrorism is a Nuisance" Kerry would be much of an improvement.
I know that Bush can't carry all the weight the left has tried to put in his basket. Most of the things he's blamed for have roots that stretch back well before his presidency, or that result to some degree from structural shifts in the post-Cold War, post-dot com world. If he'd broken half as much furniture as the DNC says he has, god himself would come down from the sky and strike him down. Is it really necessary to resort to Bush killed Christopher Reeve in order to beat him?